Friday, 05 March 2010

Midmar madness

It was that time of year again – when half of Jo’burg (or so it seems on the N3) heads down to Midmar, swims a mile and then turns around and comes back again with a brief stop at the Bierfasl. We joined the madness… again!
Friday afternoon saw us hurriedly packing the car in order to beat the traffic – err – good attempt, but it still took us a LONG time to get out of Joburg. But pretty soon we were at Woodwind Cottage and unpacked. It was then that a theme for the weekend was set – tease me (not bad) and decide what-Jenny-wants-for-her (suppose my fault for going away with 4 guys!), beginning with what makes someone attractive (after analysing George Clooney)… Interesting conversations! “Hello” rapidly became a better option for me :) – which means conversation had stooped to an all time low!
And then onto another theme for the weekend – Marius “Miss Girly Pants” Van Wyk – who refused to share a bed with Theo and insisted on sleeping on cushions on the floor instead! Even worse, he made Theo sleep on the floor the next night, thereby giving Theo the better bed the night before “the race”.
And so it was that the next morning, we left (late) for Midmar, parked the car and headed off to register – what a pleasure in comparison to other years! And then for the reason we went – the swim :) Yes, we all made it, despite it being significantly further than previously due to all the rain recently. Well, that’s my excuse anyway…
After relaxing in the beer tent for a while, we headed off to Hilton to pick up a friend of Mikes and then headed towards Howick Falls, with me in the boot of my own car! I still wonder! Anyway, Howick wasn’t far away and pretty soon Mike, Henk (the friend), Chris and I were at the bottom of the falls to climb/relax while Marius and Theo stayed at the top (remember the girly pants?). Climbing was unsuccessful and Chris and I realized that perhaps, maybe there was sudden;t more water coming over the falls. We almost ran back up and then it started raining. And raining. And pouring! So I ran to get the car, Mike, Henk and Chris walked, then found shelter and proceeded to open beers and I fetched Marius and Theo who were waiting 300m away (err, need I say girly pants – they didn’t want to get wet!).
We headed back and within an hour, all 5 of us had showered and warmed up and we headed off (in the rain) to the Bierfasl to meet Julie and co. Yummy dinner while attempting to control 4 boys – 1 who was dancing while sitting at the table (Theo), another who was drooling over school girls (Marius) and another two were picking out cougars and men I should take home. *sigh* Got home and attempted to watch Troy. Fell asleep.
Next morning, Valentines Day I may add, I cooked breakfast for all while they watched Troy. Again! Well, there were offers of help and Chris and Mike did wash up… And then it was off to the chocolate shop! YUM! And coffee! Also good! And then Rawdons for beer! :) And then the long drive home :(

Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lancasterjenny/MidmarMadness?authkey=Gv1sRgCOWEyrKjtojSLw#
or
http://picasaweb.google.com/home

No comments: