Saturday, 24 January 2009

Marine and Coastals… mmmm….

Being picked up at 5:30am after a wedding and a really hectic weekend trying to plan the move to KNP is not the best thing I’d ever heard of….
Once at Wits however, it was all systems go and we were on the bus by 7! YAY! About 2 hours later I wasn’t so excited, 4 hours later was disenchanted with the whole idea and 6 hours later thoroughly bored! Rocky Bay was a welcome sight. Even more welcome was the idea that I wasn’t catering but that meant lecturing more (good option) – the first one that night (bad option) and the next one the next morning (worse option). Lectures need to be prepped in order to be given! Which somehow happened on time with some sleep inbetween! The first day was off to Clansthal for Rocky Shores. The sea was Yuck. It’s the only way to describe it. But we saw some nice “stuffs”. The rocky shore that night at Rocky Bay was much better… many sea cucumbers, shrimps, brittle stars, flat worms, Dictyota… and sea hares – including the “mother of all sea hares” aka known as a communal cnidarian! The next day was transects, and with all the TA’s and staff present, it was pretty relaxed and I had fun exploring the rock pools with Pippa and Stuart - lots of seaweeds, some corals, and the occasional student! We found Convoluta! YAY! And had the required Paddle Pops! The next day was Vernon Crookes. I don’t know if I’ll ever get to appreciate that road – I’m always too concerned about the corners, cliffs and steep hills! I have no idea how the bus driver gets up there - I don't appreciate doing it in a car it so steep and windy! It’s a day that is not usually a favourite with the students but they found nice “stuffs” (again) and it wasn’t too hot so not too bad. And we saw some marms (frogs) as well which the students seem to appreciate. Think they may have appreciated the lunch which we had when we eventually got back at 3pm more though! The next day is usually one of the best days – but it was REALLY hot and humid! And Pippa went home :( We started at Isipingo (what makes students just entering their 2nd year of study think that they know experimental design better than a people who are at least doing their MSc???). I ended up swimming with Amy (lots of fun – very wet!). Then it was on to the Mangroves and Mudflats. As usual a mud fight of sorts broke out. I was sure that because Jo had Amy and I had my camera (thank goodness Meg was right there) and Stuart was telling us to behave, Jo wouldn’t retaliate. I was wrong! Very wrong! uShaka started with students disappearing – some to honestly go to the loo, others (furiatingly) to reapply make-up! We had a good guide and she really explained things well though. The students did their projects the next day so it was quiet a relaxed day for the staff. I also managed to have some awesome chats with Mark about what to expect for OTS. And apart from one student who decided that the best place for a vial was IN his finger, it was also a trouble free day (and trip) :)
The next day was also pretty relaxed – test setting, then listening to the talks and then a rushed visit to the beach to collect specimens for the test. I’m getting good at hindsight. I have learnt that: a) incoming tides means that there are likely to be bigger waves. b) bigger waves tend to go higher up the shore. c) light-coloured pants go see-through when wet. d) (and this is probably the most important) you shouldn’t go collecting specimens off the rocks as the tide is coming in in light-coloured long pants! A very wet me! Paddle Pops (again – we do this often) sorted me out though! My last day on the trip included another visit to the airport, rushing back for the test and marking them (did you know that you use both calls and appearance to identify frogs so that you don’t confuse them with birds?). Jo and I went for Paddle Pops but… tragedy of all tragedies, the shop was closed! So we had a Death-by-Chocolate Magnum at the airport when she and Meg dropped me instead = good alternative! It took longer to drive to the airport and drive home than I was on the plane for – it took about 40mins to fly from Durbs to Jo’burg! Lots of turbulence (it was like a roller coaster ride!), and a tail wind meant that the pilot flew really fast. It was the end of an awesome trip!
Thanks all :)

Click on the link below to see the pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lancasterjenny/MarineAndCoastals?authkey=t3ryvubPehw#

No comments: