Two days before we left for Marine and Coastals, I got a phone call from Laurence telling me that my dream job was mine! It involved being in Kruger the day that I was supposed to be driving back from Marine and Coastals – hence the roller coaster flight! So in a hectic couple of days before we left, I ran around getting stuff that I needed, and while on the trip, compiled another list that my Mom kindly went mad with! I have lots of yummy stuff!
I rushed around on Tuesday, but only ended up leaving Jo’burg much later than anticipated – and combined with horrid mist between Belfast and Lydenburg – realised that there was no way I was going to make gate closing time. Tracy and Mervyn were awesome and welcomed me with a scrumptious dinner followed by a comfy bed and coffee early the next morning. The mist had not lifted and again I sat behind trucks going 20km/hr going down Long Tom Pass. I really missed Heath – as soon as there is yuck weather, she always drives!
And then I arrived. Kruger. More specifically Skukuza. My base for the foreseeable future. All were very welcoming! Coffee was immediately made – I’ve yet to have a cup of instant coffee! YUM for me! I was shown around a bit and as of yet haven’t gotten lost. I’m staying in the research camp with one of the TA’s at the moment, but he’ll move in with the students when they get here. If you look at the pics, the reeds in the backgound of the house pic are on the bank of the Sabie river :) There's a family of banded mongoose that live at the base of the tree and the minute you open the door, they come running and chirping for food!
We went for sundowners on the first night to a place called 10 minutes - meaning it is 10mins drive from the camp – for Laurence’s Birthday. It was pretty popular - about 50 people! It was beautiful - a wide, sandy river bed with huge trees on the banks and crystal clear water which was being paddled/floating in with some diving into it due to an enthusiastic game of frisbee! Then Karen (the other resident lecturer) and I came back to make dinner and apparently those left saw a black rhino crossing the river. They also saw some lionness’s with cubs on the road back!
In camp, there are some REALLY fat impala and lots of warthogs (which seem to have an inordinate fondness for gardens and most gates only get closed at night!). Its totally different here - you don't need to lock anything but you do drive most places - a couple that came for dinner live 2 houses away and they had to drive! And at night torches just seem to get whipped out of bags!
Did you know... there are over 4000 people working in Skukuza? It’s not so much of a staff village - staff town is more like it - about 200 houses (there is a "compound" as well the other side of camp), research camps and a vet camp, with a gym including pool and tennis courts, police station etc. There is even a traffic department (OK, only about 4 people but still...) and they trap in the village! The speed limit is 30km/hr! I see some fines coming!
Last night, we went for sundowners at the dam – about a 15minute walk from camp. Again, really pretty and it was just a couple of us – including a friend who I haven’t seen for about 4 years which was great. The chef then took us for dinner at the restaurant in Skukuza. Things are pretty relaxed at the moment – I’m sure they’ll get hectic next week but at the moment, I’m really loving my new job! It really doesn’t feel like work!
Click on the link below for pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lancasterjenny/KrugerOTS?authkey=dIYAXUfjYfw#
Saturday, 24 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment